Five Arts Centre is proud to present,
Emergency: A Multi-Arts Festival!
Sebuah Darurat Dua Minggu is a multi-arts event. The project examines and re-presents ideas, narratives, and images from the first Malayan Emergency, from 1948 to 1960.
The festival follows the on-going and exciting emergence of documentary arts practices in Malaysia which is a curious blend of re-examination and re-presentation of historical data, events and ideology by contemporary artists.
Project participants include many of Malaysians’ dynamic creative talent such as Amir Muhammad, Azmyl Yunor, chi too, Chu Chu Yuan, Elaine Pedley, Fahmi Fadzil, Fahmi Reza, Grey Yeoh, Hardesh Singh, Hari Azizan, Jerome Kugan, Leow Puay Tin, Lim Chung Wei, Marion D’Cruz, Mark Teh, Mislina Mustaffa, Norman Teh, Wong Tay Sy, Yee I-Lann and many more.
The project will comprise theatre performances, film screenings, an exhibition, plus an exciting roll of different interactive presentations daily. All events are free except for the theatrical performances.
Events schedule below. Subject to change.
Exact dates and times for specific events TBC.
Exhibition – Thu 16 to Sun 26 Oct 2008, 11am to 5pm
Curated by Wong Tay Sy, Norman Teh and Grey Yeoh
“[T]he victor writes the history while the loser fades away….” Is that always true? Challenging this notion along with new ways of presenting history without being preachy, one-sided and linear, curators Wong Tay Sy, Grey Yeoh and Norman Teh explore the Malayan Emergency. The exhibition focuses on contextualising visual materials from the Malayan Emergency within our contemporary framework and offers an alternative and interactive approach to presenting history. A key element of this exhibition is the demonstration of the effect of the “presentation” of history. This effect of documentation is viewed from the perspective of the contemporary project collaborators and the interpretation of historical materials from the Emergency era.
Thu 16 to Sun 19 Oct 2008, 8.30pm
Theatre Performance – Directed by Fahmi Fadzil
Fresh from winning “Best Group Performance” at the 6th Boh Cameronian Arts Awards, Fahmi Fadzil directs an improvised tale where “over a series of encounters, four people meet in anticipation of a revolution, but they don’t know that it has already begun.”
New Village People
Thu 21 to Sun 26 Oct 2008, 8.30pm
Theatre Performance – Directed by Hari Azizan
Hari Azizan, director of the much publicised “Vagina Monologues” brings us a story where “the lives of two good friends change forever when they are forced to leave everything behind by the British army and start afresh in a New Village during the Malayan Emergency.”
Mon 20 to Sun 26 Oct 2008, 8.30pm
Film Screening -Directed by Fahmi Reza
The sequel to Fahmi Reza’s highly successful “Sepuluh Tahun Sebelum Merdeka”, “Revolusi ‘48” follows the largely unknown armed revolution for national liberation launched against British colonial rule in Malaya 60 years ago. This documentary tells the untold story of those who struggled in the anti-colonial guerilla war of independence, during the Malayan Revolution of 1948.
Presentations, performance & participatory events
Re: Search Re: Source
Thu 16 to Sun 26 Oct 2008, event time varies
Curated by Mark Teh
Mark Teh continues his dissection of historical events (“Baling (membaling)”; “Dua, Tiga Dalang Berlari”) with an investigation and re-presentation of themes, issues and stories from the Malayan Emergency period. With participation from some of Malaysia’s foremost creative personalities, history is presented as an activity that can be creative and participatory.
Please refer to the forthcoming festival guide for time and date of presentations. These presentations include:
- Filmmaker Imri Nasution will examines the parallel developments in studio-era Malay film industry and the Emergency.
- Writer-filmmaker Amir Muhammad will provide alternative interpretations of films made during the Emergency.
- Visual artist Chu Chu Yuan of 1948 Artspace will talk about the “Entry Points” art projects in the New Village community of Seri Kembangan, Serdang.
- Visual artist Yee I-Lann will provide a fascinating perspective on the geography and history of Sabah before, during and after the Emergency.
- Filmmaker-designer Fahmi Reza will present a 1-hour performance-lecture, every day throughout the Emergency Festival!
- Dancer-choreographers Marion D’Cruz & Elaine Pedley will create a lecture-demonstration of Communist propaganda dances.
- Playwright Leow Puay Tin will curate and perform a selection of texts about or from the year of Merdeka.
- Singer-songwriter Azmyl Yunor will rearrange songs from the Emergency era, as well as create new songs inspired by this time.
- Poet-singer-songwriter Jerome Kugan will DJ two nights of “Disko Darurat”!
- Composer-new media activist Hardesh Singh will create a sound installation using music, sounds & speeches collected from the Emergency era.